October 20, 2012 by astancilwomack
I generally post strictly about medical adminstration, but today I wanted to write about tips on becoming a successful leader in general, which of course can be applied to the medical field. Here are five keys that need to be mastered in order to become a successful leader:
1. Ethics/integrity: In order to be a respected and overall successful leader one has to make ethical decisions and practice integrity. Most of us learn as children that honesty is the best policy and it truly is. Making unethical decisions may make you “successful” in the short-term, but it will always catch up to you. Not only will your subordinates trust you, but they will respect you if you practice integrity.
2. Vision: A leader must have the ability to see the whole picture and the future picture. A successful leader does not make arbitrary decisions because they are convienent now. A true leader will make decisions not only based on the now, but also with the future in mind.
3. Great Communication Skills: Having a vision is important, but being able to articulate it to others is imperative. Great communication skills are necessary on any level of business, but a leader will stand out among others based on their ability to communicate effectively.
4. Decisiveness: As a leader, or any human, you aren’t always going to have the right answer all the time, but a leader needs to be able to make firm decisions based on the given situation. Managers that are constantly leaving answers open-ended or changing their minds are not effective and not easily trusted by subordinates.
5. Adaptability: As stated above even a successful leader will make decisions that may have not been the most effective, but this is where a true leader will shine. A leader will be able to adapt to any circumstance and act accordingly.
Of course, there are many important assets to being a successful leader, but these are the ones I find most important. Feel free to comment about the abilities are most important to you.